The Chanticleer Society
A Worldwide Organization of Cocktail Enthusiasts

Raise a glass for General Pascal Olivier Count de Negroni tonight!

rated by 0 users
This post has 115 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 21
Terkel Kleist Posted: 22 Oct 2009 5:50 AM

hi guys

I have been reading up on the origin of the Negroni lately and have as always come across the popular dates of 1919 and 1920.

but this time over, I have also come across the posts of a man named Noel Negroni who's bringing these new fun facts about General Pascal Olivier Count de Negroni aka Count Camillo Negroni. (Born: Castle of San Colombano 4 April 1829- Died: Alencon, Orne, 22 October 1913).

so was this drink enjoyed even earlier than we thought or did he have nothing to do with it?? 

anyway... a wonderfull excuse to have one tonight:)

http://ohgo.sh/archive/campari-take-four/

Have a great weekend

/Terkel

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 153

Different Negroni, I'm afraid. Count Camillo was still alive and well in 1920.

Oh the Bartender is just like a mother to me / And I am his favorite child. --Slim Gaillard

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 61

hhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negroni

There is no record of a Count Camillo in our family history.

I can only assume that this Count Camillo is just a bar story and nothing more

as I have never seen any proof of the existance of this Count Camillo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal_Olivier_Count_de_Negroni

David, you can help our Negroni family in this regard if you have some proof?

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 25

Very interesting twist on the story. I'm eager to learn more! Big Smile

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 153

Noel-- The story of Count Camillo is told in Luca Picchi's well-researched and documented 2006 book, Sulle tracce del conte. La vera storia del cocktail Negroni. Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me figure out where I've placed my copy. When I find it I'll post more.

Oh the Bartender is just like a mother to me / And I am his favorite child. --Slim Gaillard

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 21

hi all

JP - håber det går godt nede under!! ser man snart billeder på fjæsen?

DW - Looking forward to more input from this book. Is it only out in italian?

NN - Great to see you joining in. Sorry i didn't ask you directly. Guess I didn't really feel equipt to question your family herritage Smile

I was looking at your wiki link on the negroni and noted the two stories on the origin. Yours being the "family version" General Pascal Olivier Count de Negroni and then the (bar version) "Camillo Negroni 1919".

on a different site you posted, that your family made the ready to drink negroni in the 40's or 50's, was this the one referred to in the wiki link as "Antico Negroni 1919"? and if so, why the date 1919?

/Terkel

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 61

Please post any other information as we ( Negroni Family) have not had any luck in an ID of the Count Camillo in our family history, sorry.

If the book had a date of birth and city or date of death and city of this Count that would be very helpful.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 61

I would welcome a date of birth and city for this Count and a date of death and city as he is not at the moment part of our family history.

I am surprised that it was published in 2006 and is already out of print.  Maybe they published few copies!  

The post from 40's and 50 and "Antico Negroni 1919" is not form me. It could be from this Luca Picchi "the bartender"??

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 153

Dear Noel--

Unfortunately, I've turned the house upside down and still haven't found my copy of the book, which I think was actually published in 2002, not 2006 (and only in Italian). But I see from my notes for an article that Camillo Negroni was born in 1868 and died in 1934. He was I believe a grandson of Walter Savage Landor, the English Romantic poet, and spent a good chunk of his life in America, working as a cowboy out West and a gambler in New York.

Perhaps not from the main branch of the family, then, and something of a black sheep at that.

Perhaps Dom Costa has this book and can add more; you might email him, as he's a member of this forum.

--David

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 61

Dear David,

Let’s see if we have this right. We have a grandson of a poet who is not a Negroni so no title of Count for grandpa “Walter Savage Landor”. We don’t know who his father is or his mother born in 1868 no town, city or country, in 1934 he died somewhere out there and again no town, city or country. He goes and spends a good deal of his time as a drugstore cowboy and a gambler to boot………..LOL! This story is way too out there don’t you think??  Wow, “whoever came up with this story has had way too many Negron’s way too early in the morning”.

I would have to say that at the moment he has “no braches on his Negroni tree to hang on too let alone our tree”.

David, I hope you have a sense of humor about this “story” as I most certainly do. Usually when a story is too good to be true, what can I say except…….LOL.

On a more serious note it was only as of two weeks ago that we where able to get our story of the Negroni drink on Wikipedia and make it stick. We had to go directly to the Wikipedia people as every time that I posted our family history regarding the drink Negroni somebody would keep bringing it down on us. “I wonder why”?? It was only after my brother presented our case, that we where able to convince the Wikipedia people to allow us to post our story regarding the drink Negroni. We are also “Officers and Gentleman” and we asked them not to delete the version of the story that that you are quoting above. I hope both stories are true and that as some point in time maybe “our” General Pascal Olivier Count de Negroni and Camillo Negroni got together on some hot summer night and raised a glass, “to life and greatness of the Negroni family world wide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal_Olivier_Count_de_Negroni

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~prwgw/negroni_01.htm

Noel Negroni 

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 153

Dear Noel--

There's no point in me commenting any further on this until either I can locate my copy of Picchi's book, which provides Camillo Negroni with both a father and a mother and a detailed life story, or until you find it yourself. It is not an "LOL" book, I assure you, and makes a very creditable, well documented case for its argument. But again, it is not my argument; I have no dog in this fight, as we say.

--David

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 308

I hate Wikipedia.

Consultancy, training and events - www.evo-lution.org

Boker's Bitters and Dandelion & Burdock Bitters - www.bokersbitters.co.uk

The Jerry Thomas Project - www.thejerrythomasproject.blogspot.com

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 25

Out of a 100.000 pages wiki has only on an average 137 wrong compared to "Britannica online" who has  some 62/100.000... this is taught at the university of Copenhagen... Wiki is not that bad, but when it is bad, its really bad... i hope we can correct this thing, but we need to know more...

Noel, how old are you, when where you born, city, country etc, and whats your relation to the Negroni family/royalty/etc? What nationality are you, and the rest of your current family line, are they near you? :) Not that i don't believe you, but if we gotta buy this story you got, we got to get some more info on you, to build up some credibility?

Best regards Julian

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 61

Dear Julian,

I am not selling or buying anything.

Go to the links above that I left behind and have yourself some fun!

Noel

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 25

I did and i didnt find anything i didnt already know, but searching into your name, you still havent replied to who your are?

Googling your name comes up with a friends blog wheres this comes up:

"

1. Noel Negroni says: 

The story of The Marquis de Negroni is correct but he was not a Count.

Thank you.

2. TiareTiare says: 

It would be very interesting to know the correct story concerning the Marquis de Negroni if he was not a count as i`m in the process of writing about the Negroni for my blog.

3. Noel NegroniNoel Negroni says: 

After a review of my family history begining in 1131 he was a Count!

Tiare, Thank you for your email

4. TiareTiare says: 

I`m glad you confirm that because that`s what i wrote in my upcoming post.

Cheers and thanks!

5. Noel NegroniNoel Negroni says: 

You can see a video on how to make the Negroni cocktail here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfgxKBhNyZc

It is made with equal parts of gin, campari and sweet vermouth. Serve in an old fashioned glass over ice and garnished with an orange slice. It is considered an apéritif, or a pre-dinner cocktail intended to stimulate the appetite.

It was invented by General Pascal Olivier Count de Negroni, Here is his brief bio:
    (Born: Castle of San Colombano 4 April 1829- Died: Alencon, Orne, 22 October 1913).
    Pascal joined the French Army at 18 years of age and retired as a Brigadier General after a long illustrious career spanning 44 years. He is best remembered in the French Army annals for leading the legendary charge of cuirassiers in the Battle of Reichsoffen during the Franco Prussian War of 1870. As a reward for his valiant actions and exemplary conduct he was personally decorated on 20 August 1870 by the French Emperor, Louis Napoleon, with the Officer’s Cross of the Imperial Legion of Honor. On 3 September 1870 he was captured by the Prussians during the Battle of Sedan and spent time as a prisoner of war until his liberation 28 March 1871. On 27 December 1884 he was promoted to Brigadier General and on 4 May 1889 he was named Commander of the Legion of Honor. In 1891 he retired to his Chateau de Rochefeuille, near Mayenne, Mayenne. Pascal Olivier was the reputed inventor of the famous “Negroni Cocktail” (equal parts of Campari, Gin, and Sweet Vermouth, served in a short glass over ice and garnished with an orange slice).

6. TiareTiare says: 

Thank you for all this information and the video! That brief bio was very useful for my post as its always more interesting to add the history of a cocktail to the recipe.

Cheers!

7. TiareTiare says: 

BTW:I forgot to ask this,where is Camillo in the full name? is it Pascal Olivier Camillo Count de Negroni?

8. Noel NegroniNoel Negroni says: 

In review of the family history the correct name and title would be General Pascal Olivier Count de Negroni.

I was unable to confirm when the Camillo was eliminated from his name but at that time it was not uncommon to drop or eliminate names, as tiles and land where acquired.

FYI, The Castle at San Colombano in Corsica is still in the family.

Thank you.

9. TiareTiare says: 

Thank you for all info, its really interesting! i didn`t know that they dropped names at that time. I will read about San Colombano.

10. JayJay says: 

Thanks for all the extra info Noel! How exciting to have the creator of the Negroni as an ancestor.

11. DarrylDarryl says: 

I’ve also heard the line about trying Campari three times before you eventually come around to it, and silly as it sounds, I think there’s something to that. The first time I tasted Campari (by itself, and then in a Negroni) I thought it was terrible. But I gave it another shot (so to speak) a few days later and was suprised to find that I didn’t recoil from the glass. The herbal and citrus notes were clearer and the bitterness wasn’t as pronounced, just another dimension of flavor. The human palate isn’t geared to enjoy bitter flavors as much as sweet, salty, and sour ones, so you pretty much have to acclimate your tastebuds to them. Campari is definitely an acquired taste, but I love the possibilities its flavor profile presents in terms of mixing. A splash of Campari can be just the thing to give a citrus cocktail or highball a little more zip, and it’s a natural partner for vermouths and herbal liquors like gin.

12. Noel NegroniNoel Negroni says: 

Jay, thank you for your comment.

This is for all of you, to answer the question about changing names. On July 17, 1793 my family was declared traitors to the French revolution as we where at the service of King Louis XVI as the Corsica Black Night(Negroni) and executioners of the realm. So yes we had a few name changes and hid until the Corsica Napoleon became Emperor of France. There are two movies lossely based on our family; The Corsica Brothers in 1941 with Douglas
    Fairbanks, Jr, and more recently “Start The Revolution Without Me” with Gene Wilder and Donald Sutherland. Yes, changing name was a matter of survival!

Darrly, I agree drinking Negroni’s is certainly an acquired taste.

13. tiaretiare says: 

Thank you Noel for all this info, i find it incredibly interesting.

14. aperol | Two At The Most says: 

[...] figuring out what to make tonight, i caught the new campari post at oh gosh, so naturally decided to try the [...]

15. Mike ChristoffMike Christoff says: 

I have read that it was Gaspare Campari himself who said that it is necessary to drink Campari three times before you will begin to enjoy it.

16. Noel NegroniNoel Negroni says: 

Yes, I have the same info on Gaspare as my father’s middle name came from the same without the e (Gaspar). For me I have to have had a few drinks before I have the guts to drink some Negroni or Campari on ice…………….LOL

17. Kevin FarneyKevin Farney says: 

This is a fantastic discussion on my favorite cocktail. I’ve discovered I prefer the Negroni with more gin and less sweet vermouth: 2 oz gin, .75 oz Campari, & .5 oz sweet vermouth.

18. TiareTiare says: 

My first Campari i had in Italy and i was only 15. After that i have had it all my life..and will never stop drinking it.

19. CAFE SOL-BAR-BLOG» Blogarchiv » Wer kennt Verwandte oder Nachfahren des Grafen? says: 

[...] am 29.03.2009: Das Internet ist definitiv too big für mich! Bei genauem Hinsehen sind unter Oh Gosh! in den Kommentaren ein paar sehr interessante Abwandlungen zu [...]

20. Noel NegroniNoel Negroni says: 
  21. JeffJeff says: 

just browsing the web on a Sat morning and came across this site. i’m slightly obsessed with Campari at the moment. i happen to like the bitterness although i’ve never had it straight. my favorite drink of the moment:

1 shot of Campari
    1 shot of Tanqueray Rangpur
    juice from one lime

the great thing about it is that it takes you through the sour, sweet and bitter tastes in the first sip. damn…now i’m getting thristy…only 6 minutes until noon…

"

NB this is where the blog ends, and i startet it from where "Noel Negroni" started posting....

My question are you the same Negroni? Or did you Leave out a name or did he? Again, im not saying your not, but untill you give us some proof about who you are, you could be anyone posting on the interweb!

AGAIN, can you specify, where you are born, which city, country? Are you royalty, which country? etc etc, and can you confirm it with pictures of birth certificates etc? Because frankly this guy posting on "Ohgosh" could be you? but he apparently knows the story, and you do not, so someone is not telling the truth.... And I'm eager to find out who it is...

Thank you very much...

Page 1 of 8 (116 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Copyright (c) 2008-2010, The Chanticleer Society