A Worldwide Organization of Cocktail Enthusiasts

Galliano L'Autentico

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 11
Bruno de Georgio Posted: 20 Apr 2009 9:11 AM

Some months ago, Galliano changed the recipe of this worldwide famous italian liqueur. They named it L'Autentico that means The Original. In the 1989 Galliano was purchased to the french group Remy Cointreau and they changed the recipe in that one that we know like Galliano Vanilla liqueur. 3 years ago Lucas Bols bought the brand and at the and of 2008 the changed again the recipe into (they say) the original one. I have two question.

1 - Does anyone have a bottle of Galliano pre 1989 and can tell us if the new one is like that one?  

2 - In the last 20 years we have made drink like H. Wallbanger, Golden Cadillac, and other classics with the wrong ingredient??? And if any drink that was invented during this 20 years call for Galliano, we have to find a substitute vanilla liqueur?

Thank you

Bruno

Alchemie Cocktail Bar - Ischia Island - Italy

www.alchemie.it

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 17

Bruno, I've chatted quite a bit with Ago Perrone, the brand ambassador for Galliano, about the new formulation for an article I wrote. He tells me they actually went back to Maraschi & Quirici, the company that Arturo Vaccari parterned with when starting Galliano, who have the original recipe in their safe. They are apparently simply using the original recipe without much, if any, modification. I've never tried the (old) old formula so I can't confirm how true this is.

I believe most of the well known Galliano drinks like the Wallbanger and Golden Cadillac you mention were probably made prior to the Remy Cointreau formula change, so if anything they are probably going back to how they originally tasted. Let's be honest, how many current Galliano drinks would be a great loss to the cocktail world if they no longer work with the new formula. Slow Fuzzy Screw anyone?

Also worth noting the two new Galliano liqueurs - Ristretto, a coffee liqueur, and Balsamico, a balsamic vinegar flavoured liqueur (though they don't actually use balsamic vinegar I believe). Both very interesting ingredients, and they're making some incredible drinks using them (and L'Autentico) at The Connaught in London, where Ago is head bartender.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 11

I know Ago, and last time i met him in Italy, he was here for the presentation of the Galliano L'Autentico. There were also people from Maraschi & Quirici explaining how and why the go back to the original formula. I was just curious if anybody could compare the pre Remy formula with this new one. 

I'm sure that we have to work with this new Galliano to adapt some recipe. My experience is that we used the Galliano for is vanilla flavour. For example last year my brother made a cocktail that is a Ramos gin fizz variation: Grey Goose Pear Vodka, Galliano Vanilla Liqueur, sugar, cream, lime juice and soda water. If you substitute the Galliano with the new one the drink change. you need more sugar and you loose the vanilla flavour that pairs with the pear. so I'm going to use another vanilla liqueur for this cocktail.

I think that maybe is true that drink like Wallbenger, Golden Cadillac or Slow Fuzzy Screw are going to the original taste, but we have to spread a lot of words with a customer that in the last 20 years drunk those cocktails with a vanilla hint and like in that way. Do you agree? 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 18

I think the change back to the original recipe is a giant step for bols ( also like the new flavors ) 

If your going for real Vanilla, make your own or use another liqueur (giffard vanille du madagaskar works well for me )

I stocked a few bottles of the "old", hopefuly I'll never need them...

cheers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,174

I think then that it is time perhaps we come up with some "good" cocktails which utilize L'Autentico? If you've got any you've come up with, please post them!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 18

My favorite: 3/4 rye 50° 1/4 l'autentico in a mint julep.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,174

...bump...

Just wanted to bring this back up again. :->

Over on CocktailDB, they list about 198 recipes which are using Galliano (http://www.cocktaildb.com/ingr_detail?_action_query=1&id=201), granted, not all of them can measure up, but I suspect there are a few hidden gems in there.

I messed around with the Yellow Bird last night, and thought it was a "base hit".

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,174

Oh, and the recipe I was using was along the lines of:

Yellow Bird

• 1 1/4 oz light rum
  • 1/2 oz Galliano
  • 1/2 oz Cointreau
  • 3/4 oz lime juice

Shake, Strain, Up

-Robert

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 1

Ladies and gentlemen, 

I do apologise for the late intervent. I like to highlight what is today Galliano L'Autentico. It is a recall of the Autentic recipe famous till the end of 80s. when the liquor was ticked for more vanilla flavour and drop the alcohol content. 2006 Bols took the brand under their guide and ripropose the truly Italian herbal liquor.

So yes, all the classic recipes with Galliano were created with L'Autentico, 

The compless production process give the final product a bouquet of fragrances that goes from floral to to sweet, spice and bitter making Galliano easy in mixability.

Anise, Juniper, Lavender, Sandal Wood, Mint, Vanilla( and more...) are flavor that can match with many different spirits and ingredients, to create recipe for any occasion.

Although Galliano is a liquor I like to twist aperitif using the property gave from the herbs in the recipe.

45ml London Dry Gin, 10ml Galliano L'Autentico, 15ml dry Marsala, 2 drop celery bitters. Stir and strain in a chilled cocktail glass.lemon twist to garnish. Enjoy.....

I wish you all the best

Keep Well...

...keep mixing well...

AgoDrAgo

keep well...

...keep mixing well...

Ago

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 1

Well I know I am way late on this thread, but it so happens that after many years I decided to start drinking Harvey Wallbangers again. I have an original bottle of Dilla Arturo Paccori of Livorno which was bottled in Solaro, Italy. I'm guessing that it is pre-1989. In any case I have been drinking it regularly this past few weeks and was about to finish the bottle when I went to the liquor store and decided to buy another bottle. I immediately noticed that the bottle had changed, but the salesperson assured me that it was the "original".  I did some research when I got back home that lead me to this thread.

Well first, I want to say that my original bottle is still good and hasn't lost any flavor that I can tell. I compared the flavor of the two and they are not even close. The new Galliano has a different color to start with as it is more of a deeper yellow closer to EV olive oil where as the original is lighter in color and a brighter yellow, almost iridescent next to the current version. Something else that I noticed was that the alc/Vol of the new version is 42.3% where as the original is only 35%. As far as the taste the new version has a much more anise\liquorish flavor while the old recipe is smoother and vanilla is the first flavor that I recognize along with the anise but more equal amounts. In any case it is way different, but until I actually made a HW I couldn't really judge if it would make much of a difference in a mixed drink. Another disappointment was the pour top on the new bottle, it delivers too strong of a stream, so instead of floating the Galliano on the top of the cocktail it poured out like it didn't even have a metering device so the pour drilled straight down into the drink like a waterfall!.

OK, I will get to the taste, I slowly poured some over the top of the drink and I can tell you without a doubt, it’s not only a different taste but it does make a big difference in the HW flavor. It taste like liquorish vs. a light sweet vanilla/anise flavor. Not at all the same IMHO. I will indeed miss the REAL Galliano. If someone knows of a way that I can truly date my original bottle, please let me know so I can confirm that it is pre-1989.

Gary

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 8
I have just returned from a holiday in Texas where I found the exact bottle of Galliano you mention above (35%). I was kinda surprised about this find as I did not know Galliano had ever been made at that level of alcohol. The taste was like something in between the 18% (or whatever it is - the vanilla sirup..) and the new Autentico. As you mention, the taste of anis is radically different. My uncle claimed to have bought the bottle in Bahrain in the early 80es. Can anyone help to clear this out?
Not Ranked
Posts 1

Original Galliano was always 35% & has the best mouthfeel .....subsequently the brand was sold to the French & they for some reason decided to change the recipe?? & produced a watery tasting version @ 30%.....eventually it was sold to the Dutch & is now 42.5% ABV & is much "hotter" than the original.  I prefer the original & have found it sporadically in small liquor stores, especially in Asian areas where there is little demand for Italian liquors. (Usually in the tall dusty, original box & often at the old price!!)  The original version has the red, white & green colors of the Italian flag in a band around the top of the bottle.

Not Ranked
Posts 1

I have a question.  I have a 80 proof italian galliano bottle, which was never opened until last week.  Made in Italy.  Got from a now deceased relative.  I guestimate its 30 years old.  I taste tested this versus a brand new bottle of galliano.  The old is sweeter tasting, a little more syrapee, and a slightly darker golden color.  I like the new galliano, but much prefer the old.

My question is:   Would having the old bottle around for 30 years, mostly in a non air conditioned places, though sometimes in cold winter weather, affect this and how it is structured and tastes?

In other words, if you took a new bottle of galliano, kept it unoponed for many years, would a similar consistency change occurr?  Or was it likely just made differently?

Thanks!

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 90

I guess that if it wasnt in light/heat exposure you have no worries.

Not Ranked
Posts 1

Resurrecting this old thread. I note that some are claiming the 35% Galliano to be the REAL Galliano. but this is in fact incorrect. The current Galliano L'Autentico is based on the original recipe pre-1970's. It has the original alcohol percentage that was dropped to 35% in the 1970's and then dropped again to 30% in the current Galliano Vanilla version. 

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2008-2017, The Chanticleer Society