A Worldwide Organization of Cocktail Enthusiasts

Reed's Spiced Apple Brew

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 2
phil kaasa Posted: 30 Nov 2008 12:35 PM

I'm a big fan of Reed's Ginger Brew (it's great with a little lime and bitters, also makes a great Dark and Stormy), so when I noticed Reed's Spiced Apple Brew at the grocery store, I knew I had to try it. The Apple Brew is a sparkling apple cider (non-alcoholic) with fresh ginger, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, and other spices. On it's own, it's quite tasty and refreshing, but of course, I had to figure out some kind of cocktail to make with it. This is what I came up with:

• 1 oz Applejack
  • 1 1/2 oz Dark Rum
  • 1/2 oz Lemon Juice
  • 1/4 oz Blackstrap Molasses
  • 1-2 dashes Fee Brother's Whiskey Barrel Aged Bitters
  • Reed's Spiced Apple Brew

Shake everthing but the cider with ice. Strain into a collins glass filled with ice. Top with cider (at least 3-4 oz).

I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out. With the molasses and ginger it reminds me a bit of a gingersnap cookie. It makes a great fall drink. If you like molasses, you could easily up the measurement to 1/2 oz.

Does anyone have any other good cocktail ideas to use this Apple Brew in?

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 17

Thanks for the heads-up, I'll be on the look out for it.

Do you have trouble getting the molasses to dissolve completely? Have you tried dissolving it in the lemon juice as a first step?

I've been thining of using some of our local Sorghum molasses in drinks.

Trying to find a good drink

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 2

I think the molasses dissolved completely; at least, I didn't notice that the last swallow was any more molassesy than the first sip. I use these excellent oxo mini meausring cups (they measure up to two ounces and have marks down to 1/4 oz.) to measure my booze, so I measured the lemon juice and molasses together, but I didn't mix them or pre-dissolve the molasses before pouring it in the shaker.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 17

Yeah, like the oxo. The metric scale came in handy recently while mixing a recipe that was 3:3:2.

Trying to find a good drink

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2008-2017, The Chanticleer Society