234. Nectar
235. Raspberry, Strawberry, Currant, or Orange Effervescing Draughts
236. Ginger Wine

*Mixture
**Santa Cruz Fix
***Santa Cruz Sour
****Aromatic Tincture
*****Raspberry Syrup

*PLEASE NOTE THIS LIST OF RECIPES WILL UNDOUBTEDLY GROW AS I PROGRESS THROUGH THE BOOK, TAKING INTO ACCOUNT RECIPES FOR SYRUPS, BITTERS, ETC. 

CLICKING THE DRINK WILL ALSO TAKE YOU TO ITS PLACE IN THE THREAD AS WELL.

Consultancy, training and events - www.evo-lution.org

Boker's Bitters and Dandelion & Burdock Bitters - www.bokersbitters.co.uk

The Jerry Thomas Project - www.thejerrythomasproject.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 308
Evo-lution replied on 3 Feb 2009 1:30 AM

Table of Measurements

1 quart (imperial) = 40 ounces
1 quart (wine) = 32 ounces
1 bottle = 24 ounces
1 pint (imperial) = 20 ounces
1 pint (wine) = 16 ounces
1/2 pint (imperial) = 10 ounces
1/2 pint (wine) = 8 ounces
1 gill (imperial) = 5 ounces
1 wineglass = 2 ounces
1 jigger = 1 wineglass (also 1 1/2 ounce or 1 1/4 ounce)
1 pony = 1 ounce
1 tablespoon = 1/2 ounce
1 teaspoon = 1/3 or 1/2 tablespoon
1 dash = 1 dash

You'll also notice in the recipes the use of the word 'do.', this was an early way of saying 'ditto'.

[Thanks go to Dave Wondrich for the above information]

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 308
Evo-lution replied on 3 Feb 2009 1:30 AM

The 78 punch recipes that can be found in Jerry Thomas' 'Bar Tender's Guide - How To Mix Drinks; or, The Bon Vivant's Companion', are preceded by the following piece of advice with regards the preparation of punch.

1. Punch

To make punch of any sort in perfection, the ambrosial essence of the lemon must be extracted by rubbing lumps of sugar on the rind, which breaks the delicate little vessels that contain the essence, and at the same time absorbs it.  This, and making the mixture sweet and strong, using tea instead of water, and thoroughly amalgamating all the compounds, so that the taste of neither the bitter, the sweet, the spirit, nor the element, shall be perceptible one over the other is the grand secret, only to be acquired by practice.

In making hot toddy, or hot punch, you must put in the spirits before the water: in cold punch, grog, &c., the other way.

The precise portions of spirit and water, or even of the acidity and sweetness, can have no general rule, as scarcely two persons make punch alike.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 308
Evo-lution replied on 3 Feb 2009 1:31 AM

The first drink from Jerry's book is the Brandy Punch. 

It's widely believed that punches were discovered by the British in India sometime during the 16th century.  The name 'Punch' is derived from the Indian word for five, 'panch', and is believed to refer to the five ingredients that made up the completed beverage; tea, arrack, sugar, lemons and water.  As with most stories surrounding mixed beverages, this has many variations, which is not surprising as there's rarely someone around sober enough to keep track/note of what's going on. Wink

Whatever the truth regarding the exact origins of punch, it makes sense that 'punch' would have made its way over to English colonies that were settling in the New World (before America became America), from those that had settled in India. 

It is known for sure that it made its way across to the other side of the globe before the 1700s, with references dating as far back as 1682.   One such reference, from 1757, is attributed to an 'S.M of Boston', believed to be Samuel Mather, the son of Cotton Mather, a minister from New England .  A box of lemons was sent to Sir Harry Frankland, along with the following verse:-

"You know from Eastern India came
The skill of making punch as did the name.
And as the name consists of letters five,
By five ingredients is it kept alive.
To purest water sugar must be joined,
With these the grateful acid is combined.
Some any sours they get contented use,
But men of taste do that from Tagus choose.
When now these three are mixed with care
Then added be of spirit a small share.
And that you may the drink quite perfect see,
Atop the musky nut must grated be."

Fast forward 100 years, and Punches were big, big business in America, which is apparent when you consider that a third of Jerry's book is devoted to punches (236 recipes, 79 punches).  At the time, every bar was serving it, and every bartender was making it their own way.  Jerry alludes to this in the passage above where he says, "The precise portions of spirit and water, or even of the acidity and sweetness, can have no general rule, as scarcely two persons make punch alike."  I guess you could say this was an early form of bartender rivalry, where true mixological skill would separate the good from the bad...

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 308
Evo-lution replied on 5 Feb 2009 11:03 AM

So, the three days are up, and the syrup is completed, just waiting for it to cool overnight then I'll make the punch tomorrow (with pictures).

The fermentation process started yesterday, so thought I'd leave it for the full three days as per the recipe in the book.  Left it on the stove on a really light simmer for approximately one hour until it reached the 'little pearl' stage.  The completed syrup is intensely rich, and has a pronounced flavour that still manages to retain a 'freshness' or 'zing' that I guessed it would lose.

I assume that the intensity of the syrup's flavour comes from the fermentation process, which converts the sugars to acids, although I'd be interested to find out more about this.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,173

Something tells me that this recipe is a tad more involved than those in the Savoy :->

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 32

How do you know fermentation is taking place? And at what point is it just... for lack of a better term rotten or moldy?

Rich

Now that the new-born is no longer "new" and more importantly sleeping, I'm back at it!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 170

Fermentation converts sugar to alcohol, not acid. As the sugar is converted to alcohol the acids in the fruit will become more apparent.

The other thing that happening and is referred to in the recipe is that the pectin is degraded and the resulting juice won't jell.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 100

"Something tells me that this recipe is a tad more involved than those in the Savoy :->"

Heh, Robert! 

You'd think, but it's about as complicated as manufacturing Swedish Punsch, Kina Lillet, Amer Picon, or some of the things I've tried to do to replicate Hercules.

After all, my Swedish Punch recipe is a combination of Jerry Thomas' Imperial Arrack Punch and his United Service Punch.

But, to defend Mr. Craddock's honor, there are recipes for shrubs, punches, and bottled cocktails at the back of The Savoy Cocktail Book that are just as complicated as almost anything Mr. Thomas espouses.  Well, except maybe those 19th Century Jello Shots, whatever he calls them.

;-)

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 32

Thanks but, how do you know the sugar is converted to alcohol? You taste it for acidity? Use an acid test stick (the name escapes me)?

Now that the new-born is no longer "new" and more importantly sleeping, I'm back at it!

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 100

Quite interesting Adam!

I'm a bit confused about the reason or nature of the fermentation here.

With as little sugar as raspberries have, there's no way that that this little time is probably going to result in much alcohol production.  I think what you'll end up is closer to a natural vinegar.  The recipe sounds more like a concentrated and sweetened raspberry shrub, to me, than a raspberry wine.

Very different from modern raspberry syrup, I imagine!

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 308
Evo-lution replied on 6 Feb 2009 5:33 AM

Robert Hess:
Something tells me that this recipe is a tad more involved than those in the Savoy :->

And this is only the first drink as well. Surprise

JerseyRED:
How do you know fermentation is taking place?

I can't be 100% sure that fermentation is/was taking place, but nearing the third day there was some foam/bubbles forming on the top of the raspberries which I put down to fermentation?

Having tasted it at this point and also at day three (before it was simmered), there was an obvious change in flavour, which was much more intense/pronounced.

Calamityville:
Fermentation converts sugar to alcohol, not acid. As the sugar is converted to alcohol the acids in the fruit will become more apparent.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that acid (acetic?!?) may crop up in the process, and assumed this was the reason for the intense flavour.

Erik Ellestad:
Quite interesting Adam!

I'm a bit confused about the reason or nature of the fermentation here.

With as little sugar as raspberries have, there's no way that that this little time is probably going to result in much alcohol production.  I think what you'll end up is closer to a natural vinegar.  The recipe sounds more like a concentrated and sweetened raspberry shrub, to me, than a raspberry wine.

Very different from modern raspberry syrup, I imagine!

Wouldn't the speed of the fermentation be down to the fact there's little sugar in the raspberries?  Again, I'm just speculating here as this isn't necessarily where my expertise lies.

I wish from a 'scientific' viewpoint that I was able to test the raspberries throughout the three days, however I may be able to do this at a later stage as I'll have to make more raspberry syrup, so if someone to tell me how I would go about doing this it'd be much appreciated!  All these questions for a simple raspberry syrup. Tongue Tied

It would be good if some others were to get their hands on some raspberries, mash them up, store them somewhere warm, and see what sort of result they get after a few days...

As I said from the outset, I'm going to learn a lot through-out the completion of this project, and a lot of the information I gather will come from the contributors on e-Gullet, Barbore and The Chanticleer Society.  Theoretically, the project will be completed as a collective with everyone chipping in with various information and help.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 32

Evo-lution:

All these questions for a simple raspberry syrup. Tongue Tied

That's too funny! I'll have to follow things over at e-Gullet as well.

Thanks for the answers and best of luck!

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 308
Evo-lution replied on 6 Feb 2009 8:16 AM

Calamityville:

Taken the following from the thread on e-Gullet

slkinsey:
In a sugar-rich environment like this, the lactobacilli eat sugars and excrete acid.  For sure, fermentation by lactobacilli will increase acidity (I should also point out that their activity is also largely halted beyond a certain pH).  But, you know... all the microorganisms in there will eat a little bit of most things in the mash.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 308
Evo-lution replied on 6 Feb 2009 10:04 AM

The first stage in the construction of the Brandy Punch (and Gin Punch) is making a good quality raspberry syrup.  To try and stay true to the drinks of the time, the recipe I'll be following can be found in Prof. Christian Schultz's section of the book 'Manual for the Manufacture of Cordial, Liquors, Fancy Syrups, 7c. 7c.'.

422. Raspberry Syrup

2 pints of filtered raspberry juice
4 1/2lbs of sugar

Select the fruit, either white or red.  Having picked them over, mash them in a pan, which put in a warm place until fermentation has commenced.  Let it stand for about three days.  All mucilaginous fruits require this, or else they would jelly when bottled.  Now filter the juice through a close flannel bag, or blotting-paper, and add sugar in the proportion mentioned above; this had better be powdered.  Place the syrup on the fire, and as it heats skim it carefully, but don't let it boil; or you may mix in a glass vessel or earthenware jar, and place in a pan of water on the fire.  This is a very clean way, and prevents the sides crusting and burning.  When dissolved to the 'little pearl' (see No. 12) take it off; strain through a cloth; bottle when cold; cover with tissue-paper dipped in brandy and tie down with a bladder.

12. Little Pearl

This is when you separate the thumb and finger, and the fine thread reaches, without breaking, from one to the other.

2. Brandy Punch

(Use large bar glass)

1 tablespoonful raspberry syrup (1/2 ounce)
2 do. white sugar (1 ounce)
1 wine-glass water (2 ounce)
1 1/2 do. brandy (3 ounce - Hennessy Fine de Cognac 40% ABV)
1/2 small sized lemon
2 slices of orange
1 piece of pineapple

Fill the tumbler with shaved ice, shake well, and dress the top with berries in season; sip through a straw.

Method: Squeeze lemon into glass, add water, sugar and stir until dissolved.  Add raspberry syrup and brandy, fill with cracked ice and roll back and forth between glass and shaker until well mixed.
Glass: Boston
Garnish: Orange slices, piece of pineapple and fresh raspberries
Ice: Cracked ice
Notes: The fruit in the recipe is not specified to be included in the drink, and going by the picture in the book, the fruit is used as a garnish instead that was probably eaten alongside the drink.  If you wanted you could shake the fruit in the drink but this would result in an unpleasant looking drink, as well as being over-diluted from the cracked ice.

A decent drink with blackcurrant and lemon on the nose.  The flavour of the raspberry syrup doesn't seem to carry through very well in this drink, I just don't think the balance is right.  Not a bad effort, but one that goes down as 'must do better'.

If I was to make this drink again, I'd be inclined to raise the level of the raspberry syrup and cut back on the sugar a little.  I'd also be inclined to use tea instead of water, I think that would make a huge difference.

Page 1 of 5 (65 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS
Copyright (c) 2008-2017, The Chanticleer Society