The Chanticleer Society
A Worldwide Organization of Cocktail Enthusiasts

All about Sherry

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
145 Posts
Ralph posted on 12 Feb 2015 8:46 PM

I was reading "Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails" and noted a couple I want to try that has Sherry listed as one of the ingredients.  I can't remember where I was reading earlier, but I heard that sherry has a faster "clock" than even the mildest of white wines.  Is that really true?  If I buy a bottle and pop it open should I make sure I drink it darned quick?  The whole sherry world is a complete mystery to me at this point.   Is it good on it's own?  I love a decent red and I am all over a good scotch, so any advice at this point would be appreciated.

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
29 Posts

I adore Sherry.  However it has never been my understanding that it loses quality quicker than most wines.  In fact, I would surmise it is the opposite, especially in the case of sweeter sherries.

Problem is, I'm not the one to ask.  Because once opened, a good Sherry doesn't last long enough to go off in my household.

Top 10 Contributor
445 Posts

Absolutely pick up a copy of Talia Baiocchi's superb book:

Sherry: A Modern Guide to the Wine World's Best-Kept Secret, with Cocktails and Recipes https://www.amazon.com/dp/160774581X/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_ReF3ub1Z1J00D

So good.

Short answer: no, sherry doesn't necessarily have a "faster clock". Indeed, some sherry is fully oxidized already. It depends. But even an unoxidized sherry will last similarly to a dry white wine, and possibly better.

Top 75 Contributor
29 Posts

Looks like a great book, thanks!

Sherry has so many possibilities.  So much flavour!

And yet it is so often derided, seen as just for cooking for winos to get drunk on,  But it really can be beautiful. 

Top 25 Contributor
145 Posts

Again, thank you so much!!!   The collective lot of everyone on here may turn me into a decent home bartender one day!!!!

Top 75 Contributor
29 Posts

Imagine a world without Sherry....  I cannot.

Top 25 Contributor
145 Posts

I picked up a bottle of Fino sherry yesterday.  I really like it!!  Right now I am sipping a pegu club, but might see how it works as a sub in a martini style drink for vermouth. 

Top 10 Contributor
445 Posts

Another good book—if you're interested in sherry cocktails—is Dinah Sander’s Art of the Shim.

Also—shameless plug warning—I’ve anthologized a lot of sherry drinks in Martin’s Index (but only applicable if you have an iPhone or iPad).

Top 75 Contributor
29 Posts

I love many Sherries, from dry to creamy.  Harveys is always a treat, and so is Croft

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2008-2017, The Chanticleer Society