A Worldwide Organization of Cocktail Enthusiasts

Egg whites and herbs?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
38 Posts
Ryan Duvenage posted on 10 Dec 2008 1:51 PM

I'm sure i'm probably being very dumb and missing some glaringly obvious examples but are there any conventions for using (or not using) herbs together with egg whites in cocktails?I don't know...It just seems somehow strange to me. All the classic examples with egg whites (Sour's, Fizzes, Flips etc) seem just citrus based and I really can't think of any examples but at the same time can't think of a reason why not? Haven't really experimented though...Just wondering out loud.

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Male
215 Posts

I can not realy see why not, After all if you use absinthe, bitters, chartreuse or even gin then it is essentially herbs and eggwhite. The Tom and Jerry calls for allspice and egg YOLK. I would not worry to much about it if you keep it real.

I write even more of this drivel on Drinkmanual.com

Top 25 Contributor
Male
100 Posts

The only "classic" example I can think of is the Clover Leaf Cocktail, which is a Clover Club shaken with a sprig of mint and garnished with a mint leaf.

It is tasty and I can think of no reason not to experiment with variations...

Top 25 Contributor
Male
110 Posts

One reason we probably don't see muddled herb and egg white drinks is because it would be difficult to get the egg properly foamed with the herbs in the shaker. 

Top 10 Contributor
Male
215 Posts

Is this a fact Samuel?

I write even more of this drivel on Drinkmanual.com

Top 25 Contributor
Male
110 Posts

Seems like it would be easy to find out.  Try something like 2 ounces gin, 1/2 ounce each lime and simple, muddle 4 sprigs of mint, drop in an egg white and ice, then give 'er a shake.  See how it turns out.  I'm guessing the egg won't be particularly well foamed and it will be a real bitch to strain into the glass.  I'm also guessing that, by the time the drink is shaken enough to foam the egg whites, the mint will be way overworked.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
39 Posts

herbs together with egg whites

classic examples with egg whites (Sour's, Fizzes, Flips etc) seem just citrus based

Such a correlation does not necessarily have to do with a causal relation. You may find few classic recipes with both eggwhite and fresh herbs but you will also find few classic recipes with fresh herbs but no egg white. Classic recipes are often conservative about fresh herbs. Nutmeg, cloves and mint are being used in classics. But those are examples of particular drinks. It is not like it can be said that herbs are generally not combined with eggwhite.

There is a reason to combine egg white and citrus. It is because it creates a playfull balance of smooth (foam) and sharp (acid) favours. There is no clear reason however not to combine citrus with herbs.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
38 Posts

Thanks for the responses...I also kind of thought that it might simply be a case of not many herbs (aside from the aforementioned Mint, Nutmeg and Cloves-If the later two can even be considered herbs) being commonly used at the time that creating cocktails with eggs was in vougue. I started this line of thought while trying to think of a cocktail for the La Fee Absinthe Cocktail Competition...I started playing with Absinthe and various herbs (in more or less a Smash style drink) but found i wanted a bit more body and texture to the drink...The obvious addition of egg white got me thinking that I couldn't seem to recall that particular combination (Spirits, Simple, Citrus, Herb, Egg White) in any other drinks...Hence my post...

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2008-2010, The Chanticleer Society