The Chanticleer Society
A Worldwide Organization of Cocktail Enthusiasts

Raise a glass for General Pascal Olivier Count de Negroni tonight!

rated by 0 users
This post has 115 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 61

Dear JP,

That be me. Good work.

Next place to go:

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~prwgw/negroni_01.htm

There is a picture of me in the family history above.

Have fun">!

Noel

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 25

Sorry it might just be me, but the inconsistency in the different posts and a 64 year old guy using "lol"/smileys  several times, is just hard for my simple brain to comprehend....  no offence to anyone HmmTongue TiedAngelYes

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 61

Dear JP,

Give yourself credit as you are the only guy that actually figured out who I amJ!

When you make your next million own you’re own company, become 64 you too will laugh a lot and smile wide and true!

I drink a Negroni to your "great success"!

Noel

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 21

with this stunning turn of events and everyone holding our breath for mr. Wondrich. I give you the premade negroni anno 1919 Big Smile -

http://www.negronianticadistilleria.com/read_expl.php?idCat=2&id=38

have a great weekend!

/Terkel

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 21

oh, i forgot the guys at expert village. they are experts at everything unholy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnIJyS7u84o

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,108

Terkel Kleist:

with this stunning turn of events and everyone holding our breath for mr. Wondrich. I give you the premade negroni anno 1919 Big Smile -

http://www.negronianticadistilleria.com/read_expl.php?idCat=2&id=38

And in English:

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/BV.aspx?ref=Internal&a=http%3a%2f%2fwww.negronianticadistilleria.com%2fread_expl.php%3fidCat%3d2%26id%3d38

-Robert

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 61

I now have the names and story of Landor’s two grandchildren including the cowboy/gambler’s real name but I will wait for Mr. Wondrich to get back to us on his book that details a different story.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 61

The real name of Count Negroni is "Arnold Henry Savage Landor" and he spent 2 years in the USA starting in 1889. He was also an anthropologist and explorer. He was born in 1865 and died in Florence Italy in 1924. As you can see he was never a Negroni or Count .

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 153

0 false 18 pt 18 pt 0 0 false false false

Having finally despaired of locating my copy of Luca Picchi's now-rare book, I managed to prevail on Mr DeGroff to lend me his.

The Count Negroni in question was not Arnold Henry Savage Landor, but rather his cousin, Cammillo Luigi Manfredo Maria Negroni, born in Florence on May 25, 1868 to Count Enrico Negroni and Ada Savage Landor. After a brief military career, he went to America in the late 1880s, enjoyed a colorful career (cowboy, gambler, etc) and finally returned to Florence in 1905, where he would for the most part stay until his death on September 25th, 1934.

The questions of whether he was a true count or a true Negroni might be of historical or genealogical interest (for what it's worth, Enrico Negroni was the son of Count Luigi Negroni and Countess Sofia Rusca). But from the point of view of mixology the only question of importance is whether he invented or inspired the drink we all know and love. Here, Picchi supplies a good deal of evidence that he did.

Besides the account of Fosco Scarselli, barman at the Cafe Casoni, Cammillo's regular watering-hole, that the drink was created when, one day between 1919 and 1920, Count Camillo (at some point he dropped the second m in his name) came into the bar and asked him to "irrobustire" ("fortify") his customary Americano with gin, there's also a photograph of an October 13, 1920 letter in English addressed to "My Dear Negroni" by Frances Harper of Chelsea, London. In it appear the following lines:

"You say you can drink, smoke, & I am sure laugh, just as much as ever [evidently Negroni had been ill]. I feel you are not much to be pitied! You must not take more than 20 Negronis in one day!"

According to Scarselli, the Count made frequent pit-stops at the bar and was often good for as many as 40 Negronis a day, so 20 represents an austerity program.

Short of sworn testimony, photographs and notarized depositions, this is about as good as evidence of the origins of a classic cocktail can get.

Oh the Bartender is just like a mother to me / And I am his favorite child. --Slim Gaillard

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 25

Well then I am satisfied, Nice post of Terkel too! Who will be with me on trying to drink 20 if not 40 a day? certainly that is an accomplicement...!

Ohh and remember drink responsibly!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 61
1. Our Negroni Family Genealogy does not show anyone with any of those Negroni names.
2.  I doubt if an individual can drink 40 Negronis a day without getting alcohol poisoning.
3.  The statements quoted in the article prove nothing.
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 25

Untill you come with written proof Noel, of anything, in which we have asked several times, and you have yet to produce anything, then I am sad to say you are the only one who has proven nothing... For all its worth you could be a 15 year old kid making a prank, so untill you sort your stuff out, then I'm going for the previous post, as valid.

I rest my case untill you actually submit proof other than the wiki link, which is now also changed.

Thank you.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 61

Pascal Olivier de Négroni est né le 4/4/1829 à Rogliano (Corse)

Engagé volontaire aux Zouaves en 1847, il passe dans la cavalerie au 5e
chasseurs en juin 1847 et fait campagne en Algérie.

Il est nommé sous-lieutenant aux Spahis en 1852 et s'illustre durant lacampagne d'Orient en 1854 comme ordonnance du général Yusuf. Promu
Lieutenant en 1855, puis Capitaine en 1857, il fait campagne au Sénégal(1855-1863) et y est nommé chevalier de la légion d'honneur en 1856.

Il est nommé Chef d'escadron du 4eme régiment de cuirassier en 1869 etdans cette fonction participe à la guerre de 1870. Lors de la charged'Elsasshausen le 6/8/1870 il échappe de peu à la mort : la bombe de soncasque est traversée par un gros eclat d'obus, puis son cheval est tué et ildoit trouver une autre monture pour pouvoir remonter. Pour cette action, il
est nommé officier de la légion d'honneur. Après Froeschwiller, le régiment
se reconstitue à Chalons et participe à la campagne de Sedan. De Négroniconnaîtra les affres de la captivité en Allemagne après la réddition de
l'armée française.

Peu de temps après son retour de captivité, il se fait photographier à Parisavec son frère par lephotographe Appert. Il est
promu Lieutenant Coloneldu 4e régiment decuirassiers en 1874.

Après avoir commandécomme Colonel le 5eme
Cuirassiers entre 1877 et
1884, il est nommé Général
de Brigade, commandant la2e brigade de cuirassiers. Ilest retraité en 1891 comme
commandeur de la légiond'honneur et est mort en
1913. Il est l'inventeur du
cocktail Negroni.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 25

Sorry dude, from a scientific point of view, i read:

Bla bla bla bla, tada my claim! he invented the cocktail negroni...  where is the argument, where was he born, where did he die, i don't recall anyone asking about when he was promoted from what to what or where he served in the military, we want the cocktail-facts... and apparently there is none here :-S

just being the critical voice here. Nothing personal.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 21

Hi Noel

It seems that you have a rich family history with many great figures from all over the world. Something all of us would have been proud of. But i think that you are not seening things from our point of view.

I DO believe in the facts about your family. But just because they(Pascal) bear the name Negroni and lived in that area at the turn of the century, doesn't mean that he invented the drink.

It might be that Camillo took the name Negroni and he wasn't a real count, but we are talking about a story passed down from bartender to bartender for many many years. 

As Mr. Wondrich posted, there are many accounts of a man named Camillo inventing the drink in 1919-20ish and even the specific bartender serving it.

On top of this we have a lawsuit in the 50's were a company tried to sell a negroni premix. Campari and other spirit companies went together and sued the company and had the product removed from the marked. How?... by proving in court that the drink was invented in Florence in the 1920's. LONG after Pascal Olivier died.

http://everythinginthebar.blogspot.com/2010/01/negroni-cocktail.html (use google translate)

now is this true? I don't know, but we could contact Campari and have them confirm it. And when they do. We could call them liers and get the italien courts involved and have them confirm it. And then we could discuss how corrupt the italien court system was in the 1950's... You following me here?

When we have large family dinners, my dad always tells the story about the best beer in the world. He was out on a cruseship during a great storm in the 1970's where they couldn't get the ship to shore. Everybody on board got seasick exept for my dad. He sat for 3 days in the bar and drank an australien beer and enjoyed the free bar.  BEST beer ever.

when I started bartending I tried to find that beer... Never existed! nor did the storm!! the ship still goes back and forth between England and Denmark and my dad DID live in that area at the time.

its a good story for the dinner table.

/Terkel

Page 2 of 8 (116 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Copyright (c) 2008-2010, The Chanticleer Society