World Class Finals 2009

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 155
angus Posted: 5 Jul 2009 10:47 AM

Dear All,

so many of us are looking forward to Tales this coming week (and rightly so).

But many are also looking forward to the week after when 23 bartenders from around the world come together to compete in the Finals of World Class, a Diageo sponsored competition that has been running around the world.

In my role as Tanqueray Ambassador I will be present at the finals and will be Twittering and Facebooking as well as networking (only one vowel away from not working of course).

I expect it to be very rigourous and challenging and of a very high standard. Yes America has not chosen to enter this year but with Australia, UK, Germany, Japan and others many of the big dogs of the cocktail nations are involved.

I will post (after this) in the Media Section the Challenges and scoring for the whole week for your perusal - its a very tough set of tasks judged by Dale, Ueno-San, Difford and Marco Pierre White among others.

It should be a doozy...watch this space.

cheers and good luck to all

aw

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 3

I'm here now, in Simon Difford's Cabinet Rooms, filming Noach Van Damme from Belgium, Felix Hartmann from Dubai by way of Cologne, and Khi Leonard, who's representing the Cayman Islands, for the Classic Ccoktail Challenges.

Everybody seems to find the six challenges a total test of skill, which is great: there's some outstanding theatre, great creativity and a lot of thinking on the feet going on.

We're running footage "almost live" at http://www.weareworldclass.com/#/finals_london_09: so far we have Dale DeGroff running the speed challenge, Salvatore Calabrese testing canape pairing, Dorelli and Salvatore doing their two Ronnies act and much much more.

Also quite a dynamic twitter feed for any of you who tweet twitter.com/WorldClassFinal and a Facebook page to cheer your chaps and chapesses on: Global World Class Finals: (http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/Global-World-Class-Finals-2009/104181607796?ref=s).

Angus, we need to catch up later mate...

Theodora

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 12

Angus, could you elaborate further on why it is that the US is not participating this year?  Some are saying that we weren't invited, you've mentioned that we chose not to enter (who made the decision, then?) and various other stories are running around, so an explanation would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 155

Dear S,

I contacted the US team for clarification and this is what they said

"The US team fully supports the Diageo Reserve World Class Competition and we regret that we cannot join in the celebration, as the US undoubtedly has some of the world's greatest bartenders.   Unfortunately, due to the US legal parameters we are unable to execute this program as it may be seen as incentivising retail license accounts and providing something of value to our retailers.   In addition, given the varying regulations across all fifty states it is extremely challenging to run a national competition.  

Many trends begin and end with bartenders and they are a critical pillar of the industry.  As such we have numerous initiatives that support our bartenders, including category education via our ambassador network and bartender training with mixologists.  As part of these on-going efforts, this year we will be hosting the annual  happy hour during Tales of  Cocktail highlighting the top 40 mixologist in the United States prior to the World Class Competition."

that from the horses mouth.

aw

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 48

Which end  of the horse did that come from?

Stop staring at my Harry Johnson!

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 38

Looks like a great competition...In my opinion setting a new standard for the way competitions should be run. Looking at the challenges this seems like a far more challenging test of creativity and knowledge than most of the standard competitions we see today. Well done Diageo and all involved!

Just a question...Why did we not see any regional rounds in South Africa even though it is listed as one of the 28 countries taking part? Was this a decision on the part of Brandhouse (Diageo's local form)?

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 12

Thanks for getting the clarification, Angus, I appreciate it.  It's unfortunate that a path couldn't be found for US participation.  Other large spirits houses have found ways to have national competitions, there are many big and small occurring all the time here.  Alas, the competition is over now - congratulations to the winners!  It looks like it was a great competition.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2008-2017, The Chanticleer Society