A Worldwide Organization of Cocktail Enthusiasts

Use Homepage

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,174
Robert Hess Posted: 25 May 2009 6:51 AM

I've added a new page to the site which is essentially a home-page for each user. It will show you a list of unread forum posts, a list of your friends, their activity, and a list of your groups.

http://chanticleersociety.org/userhome.aspx

You can also access it by clicking on the "Home" navigation link and then clicking on the "User Homepage" sub-navigation from there.

I think the key thing to this page is that it shows you a list of the forum posts you haven't read yet, making it easy to keep track of ongoing conversations. If you want to see a list of "just" your unread forum posts, you can use this page:

http://chanticleersociety.org/forums/TopicsNotRead.aspx

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,174

Yeah, yeah, yeah... the title of this thread should be "User Homepage" not "Use Homepage"...

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 445

I like this feature very much because I can see at a glance what I need to read.

I'd just assume all this "friend"-related stuff went away: it's noise for me. Does anybody actually use this site's "social graph"?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,174

There are two benefits of the "friends" thing here. One is visible on this "User Home" page, in that you can see the recent postings/activity of just your friends (while the "Home" page shows the activity of everybody), and when you are sending a "message" to somebody, while you can initiate a message to anybody (based on their settings), you can only "add" to that message, people who are your friends.

But aside from that, I don't see much benefit of the "Friends" feature here, and don't necessarily promote it's use. Sites like "FaceBook" and such are perhaps better for true social networking.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 109

That's a great addition. I find the friend feature useful for getting in touch with people since the mail option still isn't working as far as I can tell Sad

"Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less. " - Marie Sklodowska Curie

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,174

Tomek... I've been experimenting with the "mail" problem. It appears to be a combination of a restriction by GoDaddy, as well as how Community Server is setting up sending messages out (unfortuantely in a compiled part of the system, which I can't change).

The outgoing mail is trying to "pretend" it is coming from you by setting the "From" field to your email address. GoDaddy is blocking this, since the domain isn't the same, and could be a spam/trojan type of thing. I think if Community Server left the "From" as being chanticleersociety.org, and then set the "reply-to" to be your email address, then it might work... but then I can' change that part to find out :-<... but I'll play around some more with it to see if there is some way i can override it.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2008-2017, The Chanticleer Society