A Worldwide Organization of Cocktail Enthusiasts

Cosmopolitan...

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 215
Dawid Steenkamp Posted: 12 Jan 2009 7:37 PM

If you think the guy from Bar-school is bad picking his nose...Check this guy out, he leaves his dirty fruit in his juicers!!! Stick out tongue

No but seriously, this little video got me in a difficult position today. A couple of weeks ago my barback told me proudly that he watches Youtube on how to make cocktails. I went crazy telling him that he is to watch smallscreen network and nothing else."If this guy doesnt do it, you dont do it understand? You dont argue with him or question him even if all the videos on youtube say otherwise!" God forbid I would hate it if he came in telling me that they mix "COCHOCHA!" with sour mix in Brazil...

Last night I let him make a cosmo and told him it was wrong, I told him that this was not "sex and the city" and we dont put in THAT much cranberry juice.

The cheeky bastard told me thats how Robert Hess does it. What could I say? I explained that its more important that we all do it the same way, following our bar's standard. I use Regans recipe from Joys of Mixology I believe it is a 3:2:1 Vodka: Cointreau: Lime juice. with a splash cranberry and a flamed orange.(for a short while I was doing Toby Chechini's recipe but it tasted like crap and I found out he did NOT invent the drink.)

Tonight I actually went back to check the video for the first time (after conveniently skipping it before). and WOW that is quite a lot of cranberry juice but I suppose there is merit in the fact that the cranberry can be seen as a sour agent if you cut back on the Cointreau. I am going to try it tommorow.

Robert is this also the recipe Dale uses? and how do the rest of you make this popular cocktail?

Why the long face?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,109

Yes, that is Dale's recipe I am using in my video. For a cosmo you need to add enough cranberry juice to give it a nice color, just a splash only adds a tinge of color to it. Thankfully cranberry juice is nowhere near as powerful as lemon or lime juice in it's overall impact, and so you have the flexibility to add that much.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 12

You ought to at least also allow him to watch Chris McMillan.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,109

Yes, Chris' video is great. I'm trying to build up a page on the Museum's website which has all of them up there with a little commentary from Chris as well.

In his Cosmo he doesn't say how much cranberry juice he adds, just "a healthy splash" or something like that. Looking at him add it, it would "appear" to be about an ounce, or perhaps a little less.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 215

Thanks Robert Embarrassed I went in to work today and apologised to my barback... he is still gloating.

Why the long face?

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 14

THANK YOU for paying careful attention to your Cosmopolitans!  I know it's become the Cheez-Whiz of bar drinks, but I contend that there is nothing like a properly-made Cosmopolitan.  (And the vast majority of them are nothing like a properly-made Cosmopolitan!)  Most places (if I don't walk them through it like the psychotic control-freak they think I am) bring me the equivalent of Cranberry Kool-Aid.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,109

Absolutely, the Cosmopolitan, while a modern drink, is very classic in nature. When properly made, with quality ingredients, it is both an excellent drink, and one which can be easily used as a springboard from which you can delve into other similar drinks.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2008-2010, The Chanticleer Society