The Chanticleer Society
A Worldwide Organization of Cocktail Enthusiasts

my mai tai problem

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 1 Reply | 0 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
137 Posts
Ralph posted on 11 Apr 2017 6:49 PM

Well, it's not so much a problem for me, quite frankly I think my mai tai is a work of pure art and is my summertime delight.  This summer's orgeat will be a masterpiece.  But if you look at the recipe for the original, it is, and mine is as well, a pretty boozy drink.  Which leads me to the problem, it is just too boozy for some of the people that I have made it for.  So, how to tame it a bit?  I firmly believe the bastardization of the mai tai is borne out of booziness of the original formula. The idea may seem like heresy, but I have been pondering a) how to keep it as close to the original recipe as possible, and b) how to tame it just a bit.

So, in keeping with this I have thought about using a fuller flavor rum such as wray and newphew, but cutting the proof down to 60 or so.  I don't want to cut the curacao, or use a lower proof (and lower quality) brand.  You can't really do anything with lime juice proportions, or the orgeat.  

Or is there  lower proof rum already that will still give me the great flavor of rum that is a bit lower proof to make it a little less potent?

That's about it, just something to get a discussion going.  not a lot of traffic on the site lately, thought this might stir up the collective thought a bit.  Thanks!!!!

All Replies

Not Ranked
1 Posts

Hello Ralph, I use to choose this recipe:

1 1/3 oz. Wray and Nephew

3/4 oz. Myer's

1/2 oz. Bols Curacao

1/2 oz. Monin Orgeat

1/2 oz. Fresh Lime juice

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2008-2010, The Chanticleer Society