The Chanticleer Society
A Worldwide Organization of Cocktail Enthusiasts

Port in cocktails.

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 198
DanielDSM Posted: 19 Oct 2013 10:49 AM

Obviously, I searched our beloved Drinkboy database for cocktails that feature Port as an ingredient.

Sadly, my expectations were confirmed and that it seems Port just didn't make a name for itself as a classic cocktail ingredient.

Newer recipes, however, are also scant - most of them seem to just be variations on a twist of adding fruit juice.

In my own experiments I've found that Rum, Brandy, or Whisky get lost in the mix. It takes a lot to compete with a good Port and in the end one barely tastes those other spirits. Fruit juices tend to just ratchet-up the sweetness but also suffer from losing their flavor character.

Are Ports just not meant to be in cocktails? How can something so delicious and fulfilling on its own not be better when in a mixing glass with ice?

Are there any Port-centric cocktails out there you enjoy?

[Stranded on an island essential cocktails: Sidecar, 3:1 Dry Martini with 2 olives, my own Neo Old Fashioned.]

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 145

I found quite a few on the cocktaildb website.   www.cocktaildb.com.  One called the porto flip sounded kind of good.  Wonder what a good starter port would be?  Now you have me interested as well!!!

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 161

Coffee Cocktail with a whole egg, Armagnac and added bitters.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 198

Thanks, lads!

[Stranded on an island essential cocktails: Sidecar, 3:1 Dry Martini with 2 olives, my own Neo Old Fashioned.]

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 12

The Savoy Cocktail book lists several, like the Tinton, the Tempter, and the Byculla. "Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars" lists dozens of cocktails with port, too many to list here. The Tinton is 1/3 port with 2/3 applejack or calvados and a dash of orange bitters. If you've got the ingredients it's a good place to start.

I've been experimenting with white port as an ingredient, but have not found as many recipes, mainly the Hi-Ho and the Broken Spur.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 90

What's white port?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 198

Wonderful - Thank you, Doug - I have a PDF of the Savoy CB but didn't even think to look!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 12

A white wine version of port that has had a varied history. In the '30s, it was used in a few cocktails. A couple of British books from the time mention the Clubland, which was white port and vodka with a dash of angustura bitters. The Hi-Ho Club from 1930s-era Hollywood had a signature drink which was equal parts Old Tom gin and white port with a dash of orange bitters. I find that the best version is 2/3 Old Tom or Plymouth gin, 1/3 white port and a teaspoon of lemon or lime juice.

White port's reputation suffered over the years. Mixed with lemon juice, it became a low-budget favorite, popularized in a couple of doo-wop numbers by the Four Deuces and the Bel-Airs. Then Gallo created Thunderbird to cash in on this market. Hopefully, you have not had to try T-bird, it is pretty horrible.

Warre's makes a white porto of a decent quality, and that is what I recommend for reconstructing the classics.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 12

Thanks for bringing up the subject, it led to a succesful experiment. which I'm calling Christmas in Manhattan:

2 oz Rye Whiskey (Pendleton 1910)
0.5 oz Red Port
0.5 oz Red Vermouth (Cinzano)
0.5 teaspoon Orange Curacao (or triple sec)
Dash of you favorite aromatic bitters (Reception Bitters, but Angostura will do)

It tastes a bit like chocolate and cherries, which goes nice with the holidays.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 9

I haven't seen many great drinks with port but have a couple you might like.

One of my favorite cocktails that includes port comes from Duggan McDonnell:

Beatnik

1.5oz Amaro Averna

1oz Bourbon

.5oz Tawny Port

1 dash Peychaud’s Bitters

Orange Twist

I also made one for my Mixology Monday one month that has some port in it:

...and Antarctica

.75oz Cynar

.75oz Tawny Port

.5oz Templeton Rye

1 brspn Lapsang Souchong Demerara Syrup

3 dashes Angostura Bitters

6 drops Moroccan Bitters

Orange Twist

I wouldn't call either "port-centric" but they are definitely good stuff.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 90

Just found this

http://portcocktails.com/cocktails.html 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2008-2017, The Chanticleer Society