Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 4
Mr. Speakeasy Posted: 26 Sep 2012 3:44 PM
Chijmes #01-08 30 Victoria St 187996
Singapore, Singapore 187996
Singapore
CLASSY - $$$$ - EAT -
Boasting the largest whisky collection in South East Asia, the Auld Alliance has over 1000 whiskies, including many rare cask editions and vintages dating back to 1936. The bar also hosts a fine selection of Champagne and an assortment of over 40 Absinthes, served in the traditional way.

I thought it kind of odd that Singapore had not made the list.  My latest (and final) deployment a while back included a port visit in Singapore, and my friend and I found this gem in a popular night life spot that used to be a convent!

Although I don't recall finding cocktails on the menu at the Auld Alliance, the selection otherwise was more than impressive. I'd even go as far to say that even if you did not like whisky,  you would still enjoy paying a visit to this bar.  The setting and the service were both spectacular, and the selection was equally impressive.  For example, a typical Scotch might offer several single malts, differentiated by the age of the youngest component (12, 15, 18, 21, 25 yrs, etc).  The Auld Alliance carries the spectrum of the current products of most distilleries, but also carries rare bottles of whisky bottled much earlier.  I seem to recall them having a few rare casks, as well.  

Embarrassingly enough, it was here that I was educated about the proper service of Absinthe.  I also was able to do a side by side comparison of Johnnie Walker Reds, current vs. 1950's (can't recall the exact bottling year).  Unfortunately, I had already enjoyed a few drinks with dinner, so I didn't feel up to exploring much more of the menu.  Would have made a return visit if the ship wasn't getting underway the next day.

Here's another informative review from a Singapore based whisky blog:

http://singaporewhisky.blogspot.com/2011/02/where-to-drink-auld-alliance.html

http://www.mrspeakeasybartending.com/blog/

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 143

Did you find any difference in JW Red current versus 50-60 years in the bottle? I did a similar experiment with Chivas Regal (current and maybe 30-40 years old). No one could detect any difference.

kindredcocktails.com  |  Cocktail recipe database for professionals and enthusiasts |  Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 4

I definitely noticed a difference, though the overall character was the same.  The differences were typically in levels of intensity of certain flavor characteristics, and if my memory serves me correctly, the current sip had a bit more bite.  I'd attribute the slight differences not to the time in the bottle, but to the slight variation of the blend (different blender at a certain time in his career) and perhaps some seasonal maturation differences of the whisky components. 

http://www.mrspeakeasybartending.com/blog/

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2008-2017, The Chanticleer Society