Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,163
Robert Hess Posted: 8 Dec 2011 3:01 PM
101 W. State Street
Ithaca, NY 14850
USA
DIVEY - $$$$$ - EAT -
Rules, as they say, are meant to be broken. And since I made the rules for this, I suppose it is only right that I should be the one to break them.

I ran across a listing for "The Chanticleer" some time ago. It apparently is a dive bar in Ithaca NY, and I figure that because of the name alone, I just HAD to list it. After all, if somebody here was going to be in Ithaca, this would be one of the bars I'd suggest they drop into, if only to be able to say they did!

I haven't been here, but someday would love to have the chance just out of curiosity.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,163

Frankly, I think it would be fun if sometime we plan a "get together" of the Chanticleer Society and meet up here... could be a hoot!

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 143

That is one awesome sign and little awning roof.

kindredcocktails.com  |  Cocktail recipe database for professionals and enthusiasts |  Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 13

The awesome sign aside, the bar is quite a dive. Problem is it's located between Ithaca College and Cornell University, so good luck on weekends during the school year. 

That said, perhaps during the summer, you might have better luck.

My advice, though: get your picture taken and go someplace else for a better drink.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,163

Yes, the pictures on their facebook site make it look a little on the sketchy side, but sometimes that is part of the fun. Perhaps the plan would be to find someplace relatively nearby with good drinks where you could get some foritfication before coming here for a couple of bottled beers and kareoke.

Luke, have you actually been there?

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 13

It's true - although my leisure time while at Cornell was mostly contained to the East Hill. I did go down to Chanticleer once or maybe twice.

One of my favorite places in Ithaca was/is Maxie's Supper Club, a New Orleans style fish house and oyster bar. Great Juleps!

Salud y pesetas!

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 143
Dan Chadwick replied on 16 Aug 2012 10:38 AM

Robert Hess:
...  find someplace relatively nearby with good drinks where you could get some fornication before coming here...

I was so disappointed to reread your reply and see that you actually wrote fortification.

kindredcocktails.com  |  Cocktail recipe database for professionals and enthusiasts |  Craft + Collect + Concoct + Categorize + Community

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 198

I agree about the sign!

However, at 6'2" I'm a pretty big guy. However, since one of us is likely to correct the bartender at this fine establishment that Bud Lite isn't normally found in an Old Fashioned... do we have enough Chanticleerian Fellowes big enough to serve as enforcers to get us out unscathed?

[Stranded on an island essential cocktails: Sidecar, 3:1 Dry Martini with 2 olives, my own Neo Old Fashioned.]

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,163

I think we need to win the lottery, offer this guy a deal he can't refuse, and turn it into a clubhouse!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2008-2010, The Chanticleer Society