Posts 23
Norm Posted: 30 Aug 2011 12:54 AM
Review: west
2881 Granville Street (@ 13th)
Vancouver, BC V6H 3J4
Canada
phone: 604 738 8938
CLASSY - $$$$ - EAT -
The best bars in Vancouver are found in fine restaurants and hotels. West is an upscale restaurant with my favourite bar in Vancouver. A seat at the bar is ideal for a couple of reasons: astronomic food prices, and face time with one of the best bartenders in the city, if not the country.

I've visited on an off night (Wednesday) a couple of times now, and I've been surprised by the service, the quality of drink, and (somewhat surprisingly) the value of the drinks at west both times.  The service from both the Bar Manager (David) and from the other bartenders has been extraordinary, and they love to talk shop when you show a little interest.  They combine the best aspects of culinary prowess(or mixology prowess, if you must), personality and showmanship into one of the most enjoyable bar experiences I've ever had.  To top it off, the drinks are some of the best I have ever had. 

Their back bar looks like most upscale american bars.  In a region with liquor laws that are very restrictive, this is quite a feat.  The fact that one can order a Rittenhouse Manhattan here in Vancouver make the bar at West stand out.  

My usual orders for a cocktail bar are an Aviation, Martinex, or Hanky Panky.  I've had an Aviation and Martinez here.  Well, two Aviations, since they were the best I've had.  Ever. 

Prices are normally $10 - $12, which is average for Canada, and a great value quality-wise.  Some as high as $15, but I believe those contained cognac, which is generally at least double the price it is in the US.

http://thefineartofdrinkingmixes.com

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,168
Review for west has been updated by Robert Hess
  • Name was changed from west to West
  • Latitude was changed from to 49.26018
  • Longitude was changed from to -123.138689
  • Email was changed from to info@westrestaurant.com
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS
Copyright (c) 2008-2017, The Chanticleer Society